Do you live in your thoughts about the past or worries about the future? Do your emotions often cause stress and confusion? Do you get carried away by dramas.
Introduction to Mindfulness and Meditation is a four-week course designed to support the practice of mindfulness, helping us develop the skills and attention to be fully present to our lives in the present moment, and to touch each moment deeply. It is intended for those new to mindfulness and meditation, as well as for those who want to review the basics and establish a more consistent daily mindfulness and meditation practice. The course includes basic instruction as well as an exploration of practical ways to bring mindfulness into daily activities.
- Systematically explore mindfulness of breathing, the body and physical sensations through sitting and walking meditation and the body scan practice.
- Establish and maintain a daily meditation practice.
- Practice mindful meditation to explore the emotions, thoughts, and overall awareness.
- Apply mindfulness to difficult emotions and thoughts to avoid getting caught up in dramas.
- Cultivate daily meditation and mindfulness practices so that mindfulness becomes an integral part of your daily life.
This four-week course will begin on Wednesday, October 5, 12, 19 & 26 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Classes will be held in-person and online. The cost is $75 for all four sessions. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
David Braasch has been a student of mindfulness and meditation at the Florida Community of Mindfulness since 2015. He has taught Introduction to Mindfulness and Meditation, Buddhism: The Basics, and Mindfulness for Educators. David is currently Senior Faculty in the English Language Program at USF, where he regularly runs workshops, classes and training on mindfulness for students and teachers.
Nina Hatton has been a member of FCM since January, 2017. She took refuge in the Five Mindfulness Trainings in In Plum Village in July, 2003, and was ordained in the Order of Interbeing in Plum Village’s first online OI ordination in May, 2021. Nina has participated in numerous intensive and retreats, a Spiritual Friends group, Death Cafe, an FCM listening circle on racism, and has recently facilitated an FCM book club discussion group. She is deeply appreciative of having found FCM and her teacher Fred, and is enthusiastic about being of service to others along the path.